The Tale of Nix

For non-Serian roleplaying (Persona RP and Fanfiction)
The mists around the mountains clear to reveal in their center a ring of stones, an easy landmark for travelers to gather.

Moderator: Tigress

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Re: The Tale of Nix

Post by Songhue »

Songhue flicked her tails as they suggested treats of fruit and flowers, curling up near the flames as Waterlily left for his part. A sigil on the back of her right shoulder glowed slightly in the firelight, an image of flames braided around a fresh green sprout. It was her own personal image, the stamp of her magical abilities. Her nine tails made a comfortable pillow, the markings that shimmered in her fur flashing in her eyes.

Her thoughts turned to this sigil upon her shoulder as she lay down. Earth and fire, the two elements she seemed to be weakest in handling, were the essence of her personal seal. It had seemed odd to her for some time, yet now it made sense; whenever she worked with these elements she had to really reach into her powers, to be strong and bold as she would have been as a leader. Air, water, even lightning, all these things could flow through her well enough, if she were placid and guided the form... But this was not so with fire and earth. She had to be true to herself and hold a strong heart to deal with these; to do more than timidly touch upon what was to be worked with.

Lightning was her strongest; air was her sister; water a friend; earth her soul; fire her heart. It had taken millennia to realize this, many worlds through many realms of existence before it was clear to her. More memories, more lessons. It felt good to know that there was a night of sharing with friends.

"All gifts bring changes," she murmured, smiling at Vineda as they all spoke of gathering food. "Some of these changes are for the better; some art so seen as a part of a curse. Though some things may escape thee, Vineda, and though thou wouldst cast from thy home, Waterlily, 'tis fortune's way that change would come; and the valor of thy own hearts to see such things as a gift, for the better. 'Tis most impressive."

'Tis a good night of sharing and the bonding of friends, she thought as she looked at these others with real appreciation. Such wonderful creatures they be, with such remarkable history.

With that she looked into Vineda's dancing flames, smiling as she enjoyed the show again. It was never long that her eyes wandered from this display, for it warmed her heart as words could only strive for.

Moments passed for her like this, unheeded, and the next thing she knew Waterlily was sitting next to her with his flowers, speaking a question. Blinking, she pulled her mind away from the flickering dance, focusing on this new friend. She could hear Vineda near by, but her eyes held the afterglow of the flames within them - she didn't know exactly where her beloved companion was.

"'Tis a power of mine," she admitted, studying Waterlily's earnest face. She spoke so as to include the rustling sounds she heard, glancing about as her eyes adjusted to the darkness around her. Now that she thought of it, none of them knew the full extent of the others' powers.

Vineda, as thy power grows 'tis a stronger force, and easier felt. As thy abilities are honed the skill to remain unnoticed shall come to thee; for now, however, 'tis possible to feel thee near by, even if not yet seen. Where art thou?

"As old as time, so say ye... Ah, thy seeks the ancient powers, then." Songhue fluffed her tails as she spoke, all the while trying to pinpoint her friend in the back of her mind. Had her lapse of response offended the creature? Or had she merely gone for the berries, without being noticed? Either way, her absence was noted now, and missed. Would it be better to go help collect?

"As was said, 'tis possible to view a willing mind, and even those that are less so. Yet is such the proper thing? Wouldst that thee remembers upon thy own abilities, that any danger thy father would find himself in from thy visit would so come at a point where thy doth so hold such abilities as to cope with such. Vineda, as well," she added, lifting her voice slightly as a small breeze fluttered by to help carry the words, "may have aid in recovering lost memories, yet 'twould mean little compared to whence they return of their own; or be a burden, if such things were forgotten for reason."

She paused here, resting her chin on her nine tails once again as her grey fur glittered in the dancing firelight. Without the markings, sigil or extra tails she would almost look to be a typical grey fox.

"However... If 'tis truly thy wish, for either that are so my friends, then it will be obliged."

Vineda
Posting Goddess
Posting Goddess

Post by Vineda »

She found herself out gathering the berries before she'd even realized what she was doing... strange, she thought. She felt the gentle questing that could be identified as Songhue, a welcome presence and and a stabilizing one.

She abandoned the berry-picking momentarily and followed the thread back to their small camp. She looked on at the meeting of the other two, curious, but understanding quickly that it was a private meeting.

I am here, friend. Berry-picking I shall go... She turned back to the berries, taking the Songhue thread with her, loathe to let it go now she'd found it.
And I don't know how To slow it down Oh, my mind's racing From chasing pirates.

waterlily
Leader
Leader

Post by waterlily »

Waterlily heard her words, but his mind started to drift. He wondered if there was a reason his memories were taken from him that was not sinister in nature. Only his memories from that night long past were missing and only his recollection of how to get home alluded him. This does not seem evil. Maybe someone was protecting him from something. *Your words are wise. One will ponder this question he has asked you further before asking it again.*

Waterlily rises from his seated position. He sniffs the air and immediately knows in which direction Vineda lies. He heads in that direction at a moderate pace. Upon seeing her, he transforms into a human in a brilliant flash of blue light. At night, his transformations can be seen for miles. *Vineda, One did not mean to send you off on your own. There was something One wanted to ask Songhue in private, but One has ended up with more questions than answers. Can One make up for his rudeness by helping you pick berries?*

As he looks at Vineda, his curiosity gets the better of him and a flood of questions come to him.
*Is your human form your native form? Can you shift into any form or only those that you have first seen? How long have you known Songhue? Where did you two first meet? Have you come across any other Shape-shifter in your travels?*

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

Songhue grinned after him as he promised to think over what she said and wandered off. She glanced at the fire once again, the sparks glittering in her eyes for a moment before she stood and stretched. Her nose was filled with the scent of burning wood and soot, the sharp tang of flowers and the freshness of newly stepped on grasses. In this form there were other scents, as well; the scent of thought, the sweet twinge of health, the bitter taste of disease. It would be impossible to find anyone outright that she didn't have a steady bead on - but, at the least, she felt the mind-touch with Vineda that came from each of them finding the others' thread. They could feel each other, to some extent even feel through each other, and for her this was well.

For the moment, she 'felt' that her friend was berry picking, that she was safe and well all in all. That was as far as she knew, however - the connection was tenuous, at best.

She tested her leg as the others moved through the brush, trotting a quick circle around the bright flames. She could walk solidly again, though it would be a while before she could consider another run.

The flames sparked higher as she sat again, right about the same moment that Waterlily shifted in his flashy manner. What a strange way to shift. Then again she was used to the strangeling's way of shimmering between forms.

Shaking her head, she moved her tails about and watched the flames, smiling as a few strands of fire actually walked out of the little pit it was in. They morphed together, molding into a spry little pixie and dancing across the ground with light, sparking footsteps. In the wake of a step a small, young sprout broke free of the ground. The fire pixie stopped and turned, seemingly considering this new plant curiously, before reaching down as if to cup the delicate thing.

In a moment's time the little flame had melted into a braided vortex, circling the sprout in a mirror imitation of the sigil on Songhue's shoulder. In the next instant they had melted together, creating what seemed to be a living plant of flames. One of her tails flitted around the little thing, never quite touching it as the shadows danced on her face. As she lifted her tail the fire rose as well, leaving the sprout unharmed and the soil beneath it rich.

The flame flitted through the air like a living creature as she played with it, her eyes smiling as vines shot out of the shadows to toy with it as well. Finally she let it return to the fires, her curiosity piqued from the scent of a passing rodent.

Could this be a meaty snack? Without thinking she turned to stalk the little beast, mostly just playing. She wasn't actually hungry; she did not often need food. But it was fun to play with the little creatures and help hone their skills for those that did wish to eat them constantly.

For the moment she had forgotten about waiting for the others.

Vineda
Posting Goddess
Posting Goddess

Post by Vineda »

Vineda gave a start at the flashy shifting as well, seeing blue spots in front of her. She was sorely tempted for a teensy moment to adjust her eyes, that they might be better able to deal with the shock. But that was the easy way out, and she'd seen the blue before. All this she ran through in a few short seconds, and she turned to greet Waterlily with a smile. She used other senses to locate this other until her vision cleared wholly.

"It is well. And indeed, that is Songhue's way. She'll not give you answers you may already have. I think I've gotten plenty of berries already, though..." She held out her apron in front of her, a kind of makeshift pouch full of berries. "Is there anything else you'd like to eat? Any other morsels that catch your fancy?"

She toyed with the connection she felt to Songhue, strengthening and adding heft to the strand infinitesimally, clarifying slightly, so that she knew with a certainty how she might avoid being herd by any others. Gaining a sense for it, she let it ease back to where it had been with an impish grin. Though she had to wonder at the mischievous undertone to Songhue's thoughts. She felt pride and enjoyment in her learning, and at the same time, contentment and eagerness. With the pride also came respect and an understanding that there was so much more to learn. For now that she recognized Songhue's thread so well, she noticed countless other threads surrounding her.

Bright eyes widened slightly in surprise as the questions flowed, and she waited until he was through. Vineda considered carefully before she answered, wanting to explain but not trusting herself to know how. It was rare that she could voice ideas like this aloud, as nature itself was her primary teacher. "The form I remember first was indeed human, though if I make guesses I might think there was much more before those memories. I can change my human shape, if i wish, make myself taller, a different color, change the shape of my face... Make my fox pelt redder, or even purple, should I wish it. Thicker if it is cold out. Can you not grow your wolf-self a pair of wings? But what wolf has wings? I have not seen it, but I believe it is possible. Is not your shape an expression of your spirit, your self? I can merge with the mist, sprite along and play all morn, and yet my essence is the same beneath the shape." As she spoke, she began weaving back towards their clearing.

Again she had to consider carefully before she answered. "I cannot truly answer you that. Songhue might be able to tell you in good terms. It seems I have known her for time out of mind. And yet, she is as new to me as a firstly-sprung bloom. Time is crafty, and plays tricks on me. 'Tis hard to even tell how long ago it was that I first found this land. As for other shifters, I have met a few of varying degrees, in passing. They were not the same, though I understand not why or how. I am new to my magic, a sapling yet."

It surprised her how easy it was to talk to this new friend, though it frustrated her that she could answer so few of his questions clearly. "Have you asked any of these questions of Songhue?"
And I don't know how To slow it down Oh, my mind's racing From chasing pirates.

waterlily
Leader
Leader

Post by waterlily »

*The berries you have gathered seem plenty and tasty. One has gathered some yummy flowers that he left back at the campfire.* As Vineda appears to be pondering the multitude of questions that waterlily asked her, he can sense that she is close to his age in the realm of magic. He cannot really sense a creatures age, but he can sense the age of their magic. It is not something he fully understands himself. With Songhue he could easily tell that her magic is old, almost ancient. This says nothing about her physical age, but the two usually go hand in hand.

With Vineda, waterlily can sense that she is like him, young in magic. Waterlily cannot read minds per say, he can only sense certain feelings. With magical creatures, he can sense their magic and their feelings. Depending on the being and on which form he is in, this ability can be muted or amplified. With humans however, he can sense thoughts. Usually their wants, desires and fears. This is what his race uses to lure humans in. Waterlily also considers himself an empath. Strong emotion within him governs his life, but also strong emotion from others can directly affect him.

*One's shifting ability is more of a direct shift into another form. One cannot necessarily make his hair grow or change color, but One could shift into an alternate form with those characteristics. One's main forms are tied to his emotions. At times One cannot control the transformation. One does not shift into other forms that often. One is content with the ones he is accustomed to. One would say his shape is an expression of his mind, even though it is One within these forms.*

Waterlily understands the time affect that happens around Songhue. Today feels as if many more days have passed than just barely one. Is this something that Songhue controls, or some magic she emits that she is unaware of? *Songhue has answered many of One's questions. One is just very curious about you. Shall we head back to enjoy the snack we have gathered?*