The Tale of Nix

For non-Serian roleplaying (Persona RP and Fanfiction)
The mists around the mountains clear to reveal in their center a ring of stones, an easy landmark for travelers to gather.

Moderator: Tigress

waterlily
Leader
Leader

Re: The Tale of Nix

Post by waterlily »

As the fires begin to dance, the anger that consumes Waterlily subsides. He knows he should be supporting Songue. His emotions always get the better of him. The sadness had left the air, but the silence remained. Vineda has the right idea. Waterlily decided that some music would be appropriate. Maybe that would lift her spirits as well. In a brilliant flash of blue light, his violin appeared.

As the fires dance, Waterlily can hear the music in his mind and begins to play that music. The song is an old folk tune that is often played around campfires in times of drunken happiness. As he plays the waters around them begin to dance. The animals of the forest begin to gather as if to form an audience for our show. Is this Vineda's magic that draws them? Maybe it is the combination of magic being used.

Whatever is was, it seems the air was a bit happier. With his eyes closed, he begins to smile as he remembers other fond times he has spent around a campfire with friends playing music. Just as water renews his soul, music renews his mind. He continues to play. Waterlily is happy because this day he has met two new friends and both Shape-shifters like himself. What does that mean? Can it purely be coincidence?

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

She had to smile as the flames danced and the music started. Now this was more like it - a merry night of merry tales, where the past is celebrated. After a moment's hesitation she shimmered again, shifting into a simple human form - one she hadn't shown in a long while.

Tilting her hat down over her eyes, Songhue grinned into the fire, lacing her fingers around her legs as she picked up the thread of conversation.

"'Twas a night such as this, where tales were told and the flames were enchanted, where all who were near gathered for the magics in the air and the retelling of times. In my kind we hath not what is called 'in-laws;' nay, for if it were family then family it be. So it was that we were all one.

Of all such beings to create a tale on a night of sharing, 'twas a young pup, a female of fairest feature and shimmering coat. Her body was as a hare the size of a wolf, with a fair fox face and dragon's wings as gossamer as a an insect's. As she listen to the tales told she was beset by the magic of the night, feeling all great and merry events as if they had happened to her own being.

As the night wore on, fireflies gathered, ringing the flames as the flashing eyes of fellow beings glittered at the shadow's edge. She followed them as they began to depart, her long, fox-like tail the last thing to be seen as she hopped through the woodland. Far did she wander, passed the known lands of the clans and into the deepest reaches of the dark woods.

She could hear the music still, could hear the stories, though there was no known reason for her to behold the dances and tales within her eye as the fireflies lead her to the very edge of all the woodland, to the beginning of lands never before explored. It was here that she found a great lake, though it was made not of water nor lava nor even anything so tangible as steam. Within this lake, where the fireflies had lead her, she saw great prisms of light, a golden sea of endless depths and no true direction.

Here she saw the tales; here she watched, as if she were there, each of the legends and stories that had unfolded around all the fires of all the clans. The fireflies danced as if sparks, enchanting her further, drawing her into the strange sea of all that was and yet was not, of light and substance, memory and color. As she stepped forward, slowly hopping on her long rabbit's legs, the small beings gathered around her and seemed to lift her from the ground, placing her within the very heart of this sacred and hidden oasis.

So it was that first LoreKeep, the holder of memory, came into being. So it is that the lands chose her. And so she returned to us, guiding all clans through such seasons as did pass."

She stopped here, smiling as the flames in front of her shifted their dance to illustrate the tale while she spoke, watching them flicker back into the beautiful dance of fire and myth that Vineda was creating. She had not taken the whole fire, but left the most for the merry dancing. Just a small area, and even that, without thinking.

"This is one of our tales, a legend of hope and nature's might. 'Tis a good one to be told, upon a night such as this."

Songhue could only hope that this would help to ease the mood even further, perhaps even encourage them to share as well. She was eager to hear what was to be said; and the longer they sat, the longer her leg had to recover. It still felt slightly weak and trembled if she leaned on it too much, even as she sat.

waterlily
Leader
Leader

Post by waterlily »

Waterlily was engrossed in her tale. They speak of such great magic and power. Maybe Songhue is the one. Maybe she is the one that can help him remember. To remember the way home. Waterlily looks at Songhue and then Vineda, thanking them with his eyes for this time they have spent together. Waterlily decides to tell a tale of his own.

*One thinks it is time for him to tell the Tale of his exodus from his homeland. One is ready now.

One is not exactly sure how the Nix came to be. For all that we can remember is that we have always been. Even the oldest of us cannot remember the one that brought us into existence. The Nix do age and we do eventually fade back into the waters. But ours is a slow process. One has seen many generations of humans pass before him, but is yet still a child among the Nix.

The land we come from is called The Eternal Realm. It is not of this world, but lies in another existence. My kind come to this world to protect the waters. Some even come to play cruel games on humans. There seems to be an innate dislike of human beings. For what reason, One does not know.

What One can remember is as normal as any child. One had a father; One had a mother. My father is all One knew because One's mother had died giving birth to him. For this, One was teased a lot by many. My father did his best to raise me as Nix. It was he that taught me the magics of the Nix and how to wield them. It was also he that instilled in me a great respect for all manner of life; animal, magical or human.

As One grew up Nix, One started to notice that he was a little different than the rest. One did not want to do what all Nix do. One started to develop other abilities, that were not of the Nix. In order to be fully accepted as Nix, One must pass a test. A test of One's loyalty and dedication to Nix. This test was barbaric. One would not do it. One refused to do it. One would not needlessly kill to be Nix

The day that one refused was his last day in The Eternal Realm. One went to bed that evening and awoke in this land. One has no knowledge of what transpired that night, how he got to this realm, or the way to get back home. One has been here for many seasons and has begun to forget the things of the past.

In all his time here, One has never met one of his own kind. One has met several other magical creatures, many creatures of the forest and several humans. But One prefers to be alone. Until now One has never met another Shape-shifter either. You both are the first and both in the same day. One thinks the coincidence is hard to ignore.

And so Waterlily's tale ends. He is relieved for having told his Tale. This is something he had not told another soul since arriving in these lands. For him it feels like a mountain of water has been lifted off his shoulders. He tosses more firewood into the fire. The moon is making its pass above us now.

Songhue
Posting Elemental
Posting Elemental

Post by Songhue »

She tilted her head as she listened to his tale, her eyes sparking, hidden under her hat. His was a sad tale as well.

"Few seem to know how they actually cameth upon these lands. Some are wandering souls who find themselves hither quite by accident; others art called or pulled hither."

She shrugged and stood up to stretch, smiling at her friends as she shifted into a kitsune. She was always amused whenever she shifted from a form that required clothing to be seen as 'decent' by those around her and one that didn't.

Personally, Songhue hated clothes. She saw no distinguishing reason why they would be needed for the tall, hairless forms. She didn't require them as a kitsune, owl or dragon, after all.

Still, the shifting process was made amusing because of them, so they were tolerated. Whenever she shifted, shimmering into that insubstantial state, she had a habit of either summoning or dismissing the garments. Where they went, exactly, she wasn't entirely sure of, only that once she created them all that was required was willing them away or calling them back.

"The night does grow late... Hath either of ye need for vittals or rest? Some creatures must eat several times a sun-turn.."

Vineda
Posting Goddess
Posting Goddess

Post by Vineda »

Though she may have sat unmoving and entranced through the tale, her eyes shone brighter as well at its sadness. Her figures still danced, though not as spritely as they had before. After a few moments a shape grew at the center of their dancing, a large water lily flaming bright, undiminished.

"I do not remember. My memory goes only as far as the one family. They cast me out, in the end." She blinked at having left another sad note in the air, coming to herself slightly, just long enough to be more aware of her words and what effect they might have on others. It was unusual for her to become so lost in the presence of others. " 'Twas for my own good as well as theirs. The fear and the tension the coming of my gift brought forth put us all in danger. From myself... in losing control of something I knew nothing about, as well as from others and their fear of that which they did not understand. And I somehow found myself here throughout my wanders. It has been good to me."

She raised her voice then, in a song that she'd learned long ago, in time out of mind. The words floated through her head clearly, though it'd been ages since she'd sung them with friends at the stream as they washed. Her voice was not spectacular, but gentle and expressive. She'd had to take lessons, as all the young ladies must in her old home. Lessons for many things; many of them useless, but some she found herself surprised to miss.

"When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be."

The flames danced slowly now, but steadily. Vineda quieted, and looked to her friends. "No need have I to eat at present. I'd be happy to help gather a snack, though. Fruit or berries by moonlight sounds particularly tasty."
And I don't know how To slow it down Oh, my mind's racing From chasing pirates.

waterlily
Leader
Leader

Post by waterlily »

Though the stories shared this night were indeed sad, the air was refreshed with friendship. The sharing of the stories between friends was good for all and better for the teller. Things involving great emotion should be shared, because eventually they cannot be contained. *One is fortunate to have met you both this day and share these tales this night.* Waterlily smiles.

*Vineda, if you will gather some berries, One will go and gather these delicious flowers that grow nearby? Together they will make a nice midnight treat* In a brilliant flash of blue light, waterlily transforms into his wolf form and in the blink of an eye is off into the woods. As Vineda sets out to gather some berries, Songhue is alone with her thoughts. Waterlily had an alterior motive for sending Vineda away for a bit.

He quickly returns with a bundle of these beautiful purple and fiery orange flowers, held by the roots in his mouth. He sets those down and moves to sit next to Songhue. *Do you have the ability to peer into One's mind?* Waterlily has long been searching for a way home. The key lies in his mind, he hopes.

*One has been searching for a creature as old as time itself; one with the power to help me.* Waterlily looks at Songhue with such hope and faith in his eyes. Getting home is not so much about seeing his realm, but about seeing his father, whom he misses dearly. *Are you this creature?*